ABOUT

CHURCH HISTORY

Prior to 1857, folks of Presbyterian faith attended the Church of Islip and Huntington, located in Babylon. As the population of the hamlet increased, it became important to erect a house of worship in Islip. Mrs. Almira Doxsee and Miss Charlotte Doxsee raised funds to pay for the lumber by forming a Ladies’ Sewing Society. The building was erected and dedicated in 1852, and served as a house of worship until 1869. Today, the chapel serves as our fellowship hall.

In 1867, Robert L. Maitland challenged the congregation to match his own contribution of $3,000 towards the building of a new church. Through this generosity, our present church building was completed in 1869.

The building to the east of the church served as a manse until 1979 when Mr. and Mrs. James Van der Scheer bequeathed their home in Islip for use as a manse. The former manse is now the Parish house, used for offices, meeting rooms, and Sunday School classes.

ELDERS (THE SESSION)

Elders exercise leadership, government, spiritual discernment, and discipline and have responsibilities for the life of a congregation as well as the whole church, including ecumenical relationships. When elected by the congregation, they shall serve faithfully as members of the session. (The PC(USA) Book of Order)

DEACONS

The ministry of deacon is one of compassion, witness, and service, sharing in the redeeming love of Jesus Christ for the poor, the hungry, the sick, the lost, the friendless, the oppressed, those burdened by unjust policies or structures, or anyone in distress. Persons of spiritual character, honest repute, exemplary lives, brotherly and sisterly love, sincere compassion, and sound judgment should be chosen for this ministry. (The PC(USA) Book of Order)

CONFESSING CHURCH MOVEMENT

On May 10, 2001, the members of the Session of the Presbyterian Church of Islip voted unanimously to join the Confessing Church Movement with the PC(USA).

Contact us at to find out more information.